A Farewell to Ranunculus Season

 
ranunculus_flower_blog.png
 
 

They’ve made their debut in numerous bridal bouquets and arrangements, comforted people in hard times, been gifts to mamas, asked a girl to prom, danced the night away at said prom, celebrated our friend’s time in America, got sold throughout Austin and brought so much joy to us these past few months. But sadly, it’s time to say goodbye for now. *cue closing time*

My intention here was to start a series where I deep dive into the flowers that are blooming as they bloom. Well here we are, ranunculus are done blooming, and I’ve yet to write an article over them. But these fluffy beauties also known as the rose of spring deserve some appreciation regardless of my procrastination. So please enjoy, this farewell to ranunculus. Hope you learn something new today, I did!

MY FAVE FLEUR

If you’ve ever asked me what my favorite flower is, theres a 90% chance I told you it’s ranunculus. The other 10% accounts for my indecisiveness and leaves room for peonies and garden roses and sweet peas and tulips, etc.

Ranunculus are one of my favorites for many reasons— a couple being that they come in an array of beautiful colors, they open so beautifully and look almost too perfect to be real, and their vase life is longer than most flowers. Win, win, win. Plus, they were in my wedding bouquet so theres another point for the ranuncs.

THE MORE YOU KNOW

If you don’t know much about growing flowers (i.e. me, but I’m learning!!) you may not realize that ranunculus actually come in corms a majority of the time. You can get seeds, but that is much more complicated, takes longer and is more climate dependent. So corms it is!

So they come in corms, you soak the corms, then they go in the ground. You can also pre-chill them before putting them in the ground to trick the plant to bloom earlier, which we did.

These babies went in the ground in October (keep in mind, we’re in the hill country of TX!!) and the first blooms started in late February for us. They could bloom earlier in a greenhouse though, but we don’t have one of those quite yet. Very open to donations.

One thing about ranunculus is that they are cool season flowers that like spring-like temps of about 55°F and they DON’T like hard freezes or extreme heat. So honestly not that different from me. If your plants are outside when a freeze comes, you better get out there and put a blanket over those fellas. Loads of fun, you should try it.

We are just now (as of April 10) enjoying the final little push of ranunculus and I am not happy about it. But hey, flowers are fleeting and thats part of the job! Plus, good things are always around the corner and that’s what makes gardening so beautiful!

Need more fun facts? Keep reading!

ranunculus _act_sheet.png
157B9B5A-DB84-4BD8-8F2D-2F38A669B0DF 2.jpg
3093B0AE-A36C-4FA0-9109-18279D527C4F.JPG
5D720382-FAFE-4AE5-A5A1-B37513DE4958.JPG